Book review: The Beast of the Buckingham Palace by David Walliams

 So, I bought this book, like, 2 months ago, and I was super hyped because it would be the first book that I got in nearly 8 months (except for study textbooks 🙄) and also that these 2 books that I ordered were FAT. If you're curious, then the other book was "The Girl who drank the Moon" by Kelly Barnhill (on which I will be giving a review soon!). The book was all covered red and gold and looking handsome and the plotline was also good, and I began reading this book in the sunlight of a lazy Sunday morning.  You should know the fact that even if it's nearly a 400-page David Walliams book, it doesn't take long to finish because there isn't a lot of text on each page. And it took me about 2-3 hours to finish. But it's not about how long it took me to finish the book, it's about what was inside that made me curious and well, a little disappointed.



So, the plotline went something like this: its timeline is based a hundred (give or take) in the future and the whole world is in colossal damage from what the humans have been doing. I particularly liked the line where the boy tells us that "Eventually, the Earth took its revenge " by melting the ice caps and flooding countries and submerging most of them. It shows how deep the destruction was in a cleverly good way. But no matter what, the situation was DEFINITELY worse in Britain. Because you see, Britain was no longer a democracy, instead, it was ruled by its king.

The people who wanted democracy back were known as the Revolutionaries and were a group of people who made attacks on the Buckingham palace to tear the Ruler down. But you will soon find a twist in the plot of the revolutionaries. Fortunately, our story takes place on the side of the ruler. Not him but his son, Prince Alfred. You see, Prince Alfred was always too sick to often get out of bed so he would spend most of his time reading away at history books. 

Anyway, I was curious about what was going to happen next in the book and got me hooked too. It’s also got some hilarious bits stuffed here and there. But what the plot was actually about was that Prince Alfred found a mystical creature, called the Griffin, lying in a secret room in the form of a statue which if reawakened, can cause damage. He is also separated from his mother, by guards who carried her away in the dead of the night. His father, a very old man, isn't mentally right. A war soon breaks out in which Alfred is fighting (on which side, I won’t reveal!) for freedom from the rule of a horrible dictator (not the King!) and to avenge the country to a clear sky from eternal darkness. He soon does, but what costs him, was definitely not worth it (which I won’t tell you why!).

What actually DISSAPOINTED me was its ending. The book did get interesting and curious in the beginning and though the middle did get slow, it was still convincing. But the ending, which was supposed to be when the battle lines were being drawn, when the secrets were coming out of the murky shadows, and the characters were going to give their all, which was supposed to be one of the most crucial parts of the book, was sort of turned out to be not great. First of all, the ending, or at least the battle seemed rushed and too much was happening to make a good sense out of it. And most upon, the parts that were supposed to be hilarious bits slowed down the flow of the ending and disconnected the readers from the main topic. There are other things too that didn't give readers a promising ending. 

There are still a TON of characters I haven’t mentioned, and a ton of things about the story, which you can only find out by reading it. For me, this could have been better. These were my honest thoughts about this book, I liked letting them out on a screen for you.

I will be writing more frequently than ever before, on even more interesting topics! I hope to see you soon too!

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to learn from valuable experiences

Newness in our lives is a necessity

Why you SHOULD read classics